Learning to care, care for learning – The Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD) functions within the organizational structure of Babes-Bolyai University (Rector’s Office). OSD facilitates and supports the inclusion of students with educational needs into the academic life, by identifying these needs and by informing the academic personnel about the learning needs of students with disabilities.
Values we promote: care, inclusion, diversity, respect, focus on the individual needs, accessibility and collaboration.
Definitions of disabilities:
- According to the World Health Organization (2001) „disabilities is an umbrella term, covering impairments, activity limitations, and participation restrictions. Impairment is a problem in body function or structure; an activity limitation is a difficulty encountered by an individual in executing a task or action; while a participation restriction is a problem experienced by an individual in involvement in life situations. Thus, disability is a complex phenomenon, reflecting an interaction between features of a person’s body and features of the society in which he or she lives”.
- At level of European Union, disability is considered a problem of the whole society and implies a continuous adaptation of all the life dimensions in terms of inclusion of the disabled persons into the dynamic of the social life (Cziker, 2013).
Please contact the Office of Students with Disabilities if:
- You are a BBU student with special learning needs and you need counseling for solving those needs.
- You are a BBU student and you would like to get involved as volunteer in activities regarding the physical and social accessibility of the academic environment (learning, evaluation), as well as of other spaces related to the social activity of yours and other students, including the students with special needs.
- You would like to be informed about accessibility and special needs and get in contact (through the Office for Students with Disabilities) with centers, NGOs and institutions that are offering information and services related to accessibility, medical support, vocational training and/or training of several skills for helping and caring for persons with disabilities. For more details about these centers and institutions, please check the section useful links.
- You would like to take part in one of the ongoing programs and projects of the Office for Students with Disabilities.
- You would like to suggest an activity or a program addressed to the students with disabilities (i.e. student-for-student activity), or to connect the OSD with your network of collaborators in the area of improving the quality of life of BBU students with disabilities in the context of their interactions with the academic environment.
How to get in contact with the Office for Students with Disabilities:
- By email: email@example.com
- By sending a written letter/address through the Registration Office of Babes-Bolyai University (Kogălniceanu Street 1, Cluj-Napoca)
- By visiting the Office for Students with Disabilities: Student Residence Building III, Hașdeu Campus – Public hours: every Thursday (14:00-16:00) and every Wednesday (10:00-12:00).
Note: The infrastructure of the Office for Students with Disabilities consists in one room hosting the personnel and one room allowing for organization of several events (max. 20 people), such as workshops, seminars, team-building activities etc. At request, activities of the OSD can be organized in specific locations.
The team of the Office for Students with Disabilities:
- Associate Professor Alina S. Rusu, PhD (Coordinator of OSD) – Department of Special Education, Faculty of Psychology and Sciences of Education, Babes-Bolyai University.
- Lecturer Carmen Costea-Bărluțiu, PhD (psychological and psycho-pedagogical counseling) – Department of Special Education, Faculty of Psychology and Sciences of Education, Babes-Bolyai University.
- Roxana Cziker, PhD (educational training on accessibility) – School Headmaster, High School for Visually Impaired Cluj-Napoca.
- Sorin G. Ionescu (social counseling and secretarial tasks) – Social Assistant.