Learning to care, care for learning – The Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD) functions within the organizational structure of Babes-Bolyai University (Rector’s Office). OSD facilitates and supports the inclusion of students with educational needs into the academic life, by identifying these needs and by informing the academic personnel about the learning needs of students with disabilities.
Values we promote: care, inclusion, diversity, respect, focus on the individual needs, accessibility and collaboration.
Definitions of disabilities:
- According to the World Health Organization (2001) „disabilities is an umbrella term, covering impairments, activity limitations, and participation restrictions. Impairment is a problem in body function or structure; an activity limitation is a difficulty encountered by an individual in executing a task or action; while a participation restriction is a problem experienced by an individual in involvement in life situations. Thus, disability is a complex phenomenon, reflecting an interaction between features of a person’s body and features of the society in which he or she lives”.
- At level of European Union, disability is considered a problem of the whole society and implies a continuous adaptation of all the life dimensions in terms of inclusion of the disabled persons into the dynamic of the social life (Cziker, 2013).
What can we do together through the Office for Students with Disabilities:
- Facilitation of the access of students with disabilities at the learning-evaluation process, by assuring physical and social accessibility to all the academic levels of the interaction with these students.
- Enabling personalized services (individual and/or group level) in the direction of solving difficulties related to the context of specific disabilities.
- Information and training of the academic personnel (teaching staff, researchers and administrative staff) regarding the inclusion of disabled persons into the academic life.
- Conducting evidence-based research on the attitudes, behaviors and level of knowledge of the academic personnel regarding accessibility and the special needs of persons with disabilities, as well as the possibilities of addressing these needs.
- Promoting and implementing activities and programs in partnership with centers, associations (especially student associations and structures) and departments of BBU, as well as with NGOs, companies, medical unities and public institutions (local, national and/or international) that support the equal access to education of persons with disabilities.
- Promoting the admission at Babes-Bolyai University within the local and national network of high schools for persons with special needs, by organizing informed visits and common activities, with the help of BBU students (i.e. volunteers of several student associations and Faculties, as well as students with disabilities).
ONLINE STUDY (participants: academic personnel of BBU)
A first step of the OSD’s activity regarding the academic personnel of BBU is an online study investigating the perspective of BBU academic staff toward the current situation of the BBU students with disability and their level of knowledge on accessibility.
Please take part to this study by accessing the following link (it takes 5 to 10 minutes to fill in the questionnaire): http://beta.psihoterapeutonline.ro/exp
By filling in this online questionnaire, you can significantly contribute at the optimization of the interaction environment (physical and social) with the students with disabilities, as well as to facilitate their further social and professional inclusion process. This study has been approved by the Ethical Commission of BBU (No. 14770/17.06.2014). The results of the study will be posted on the official website of OSD.
How to get in contact with the Office for Students with Disabilities:
Please address the accessibility and special accommodation requests directly to your Dean offices.
Note: The infrastructure of the Office for Students with Disabilities consists in one room hosting the personnel and one room allowing for organization of several events (max. 20 people), such as workshops, seminars, team-building activities etc. At request, activities of the OSD can be organized in specific locations.